Robert De Niro’s 10 Best Movie Roles

Robert De Niro’s 10 Best Movie Roles

Is there a man over 40 who doesn’t love Robert De Niro (as an actor)? With De Niro recently turning 70, this is a perfect time to look back at this legend’s 10 best films. Let us know if you agree with our list in the comments section, below.

Vito Corleone, The Godfather Part II (1974)
Godfather II

Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver (1976)
Taxi Driver

Michael Vronsky, The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Deer Hunter

Jake LaMotta, Raging Bull (1980)
Raging Bull

Jack Walsh, Midnight Run (1988)
Midnight Run

Jimmy Conway, Goodfellas (1990)
Goodfellas

Max Cady, Cape Fear (1991)
Cape Fear

Lorenzo Anello, A Bronx Tale (1993)
A Bronx Tale

Sam “Ace” Rothstein, Casino (1995)
Casino

Paul Vitti, Analyze This (1999)
Analyze This

Where did we go wrong on our list? Let us know in the comments section. (De Niro has appeared in over 100 films so there has to be some disagreement)

6 Responses to Robert De Niro’s 10 Best Movie Roles

1. jason says:

How could you leave off HEAT!

• DM40 Staff says:

Jason: Although De Niro was good in the part of anti-hero, Neil McCauley, we feel the movie itself was pretty bad so it didn’t make the cut. Did you like the movie?

2. Miey_C says:

Really Midnight Run? The movie wasn’t horrible, but it certainly a great one from De Niro….

Better than Mean Streets or Once Upon a Time in America or Heat?

I love A Bronx Tale, but he was not really a main character in that movie..

I don’t think you did your homework on this article.

• DM40 Staff says:

As good as DeNiro was in Heat, the movie, itself was awful. And although DeNiro wasn’t the “main” character in A Bronx Tale, he was great “against type” in this movie as a father who was desperate to save his son from making poor, life-changing decisions. You have a point with Mean Streets and Once Upon a Time in America but we had to cut something out. And Midnight Run was probably one of the more underrated movies of his career. Thanks for reading and writing!

• Mikey_C says:

well, everything is relative right? “Best of” lists are always a question of taste. When I look at a best of list, myself personally, the main thing I take into account is the kind of mark it made on cinema, civilization, etc. I suppose that sounds dramatic, but I’m a bit of a movie buff. With regards to Heat, The character development in the movie was excellent. Most Michael Mann movies are a bit flashy, but I thought it had an even development of the “good guys” and “bad guys”. Mean Streets I think is pretty self explanatory from director the actors, It’s almost a Who’s Who of the future. With regards to Once Upon a Time, ANY movie directed by Sergio Leone, gets mentioned. Period. (lol)

Midnight Run, was nothing short of movie fodder. Sure it’s a fun movie to watch on a Sunday afternoon when there’s no more football. But when speaking about a person like Deniro, you can get specific to success and/or critical acclaim, since he has that sort of resume. Midnight Run was no better than Mad Dog and Glory.

If you want to speak of underrated Deniro movies, I think THE BEST underrated movie was Men of Honor. I LOOOOVE his character. Great story and his hard as nails character was someone to respect and pay attention to, despite his limited time in the movie.

Mehh it’s all good. DeNiro, Pacino, etc…I can talk all day about them…

3. Shawn Ladd says: