“Go ahead, make my day” and “Frankly, Scarlett, I don’t give a damn” are classic, guy movie quotes, but don’t necessarily impart any wisdom on us. So we at DM40 came up with 10 great passages from the lips of great actors that we can actually learn something from.
3. “Deserves got nothing to do with it.”
- Clint Eastwood to Gene Hackman in Unforgiven as Eastwood is about to shoot Hackman when Hackman says he doesn’t deserve to die like that.
Lesson: Life isn’t fair; now get over it.
7. “In the casino, the cardinal rule is to keep them playing and keep them coming back. The longer they play, the more they lose, and in the end, we get it all.”
- Robert DeNiro in Casino.
Lesson: Sit at a blackjack table long enough and you’ll lose—guaranteed.
8. “If you fail in life, I don’t want you to blame your parents, I don’t want you to blame the white man, I want you to blame yourself. The responsibility is yours!”
- Morgan Freeman in Lean on Me.
Lesson: Stop blaming other people for your predicaments. Your pathetic life is your own fault.
9. “You’re about to.”
- Robert Redford in The Natural, in response to the team owner’s assertion that he could “count on Redford’s honor” by taking money to throw a game.
Lesson: A man’s integrity is more important than financial security.
10. “Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. I’m sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw ‘em. This is your time.”
- Kurt Russell in Miracle
Lesson: You can accomplish great things in life if you believe that you can.
Did we forget your favorite? Or your motto? Feel free to share any other quotes that aren’t listed here.